Main Building - University of Santo Tomas
Having a Renaissance Revival architectural style, the building is the first earthquake-resistant in the Philippines constructed in 1924-1927. The Main Building was actually influenced by famed icon of architecture Frank Lloyd Wright’s Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, Japan, after the Great Kanto earthquake.
The facade of the main building has two entrances on both sides and a large wooden door at the center. Along the doors are a series of tall glass windows. The entrance at the center has a concrete patio ornately covered with plants. Embedded along its walls are intricate column tops and bases.
Above the entrance at the center is a large clock and around it are the Tria Haec (“These Three” in Latin) statues of Faith (on top of the clock), Hope, and Charity symbolizing the virtues espoused by the university. At the left of the Tria Haec are a trio of statues representing theologians and historians. At the right of the Tria Haec are the Dominican philosopher-theologian Albertus Magnus flanked by 2 other philophers: Aristotle on the left and Plato on the right. The structure is actually a rectangular building having a dimension of 86 meters long and 74 meters wide with two interior courtyards and is made up of 40 separate but independent structures.